Sunday, November 2, 2008

Bicycle Built For......

I am now the proud of a new bicycle. I did a lot of research and talked to many "biker" friends before I took the plunge and did it. Nothing in this world is easy though. The bike is a wonderful mix of old and new. The color is that of champagne and it has coaster brakes, three speeds, and a very sturdy frame. The problem lay in the seat. The clamp kept loosening and the seat fell every time I so much as hit a dip in the road. 
I am a larger woman. This seat falling thing was not only making it difficult to ride my new bike but was also making my self image plummet as well. Friends would look at it and do some adjusting and I would ride and be fine for a day and the problem would begin again. Down would fall my seat. In my mind I thought that I am trying so hard to exercise and because I am so big I cannot even do something fun like ride a bike. 
Then entered my esteemed neighbor and friend Jim. He worked magic by putting a new pipe into the seat slot so the seat rests on the pole and cannot simply slide down into the shaft. He came over early on a Saturday morning without even saying he was there. He had solved the problem for me and came and put it into action. This not only lifted my seat but my feeling of self worth. Now, even though i am large my seat no longer slides down into the shaft. Now, even though I am a large woman I know longer feel that I am a failure as a bike rider. The pipe solved the problem but really friendship did. 

1 comment:

GrammE said...

Reminds me of how your friendship has often solved my troubles, too :)
You have often worked miracles on my esteem, Esteemed Esther!