Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Money Man

Have you ever been in love with someone you have never met? Okay, maybe love is not the correct word. I am taking a financial peace class at church. The curriculum scares me a bit I must admit. I have never been particularly good with money. I have a habit of taking extra money and lending it to people, buying things for people, spending money on my kids at school, buying books ..... You get the idea. In comes my new hero. He does not wear bright and shining armor, he does not ride a mighty steed or have the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound. He simply has a direct, CLEAR way of explaining money and how to get a handle on the money in your life. This man's name is Dave Ramsey. I never thought that I would hear myself say this but I am enjoying the video lessons but I am also ENJOYING reading his book on finances and money. Go figure! If you ever have the opportunity to take a course of Dave Ramsey's take it. I am finding that it is just good cents. My check book has not balanced for ( dare I say it) balanced for years. I do have a little trick that assures I am never overdrawn. Money is just money. When someone asks me how much I get paid I kind of shrug because I know that money gets deposited a few times a month but I do not worry about the particulars. I know that some of you are shuddering at this point. I just do not have the find the last penny gene.
My hero Dave may be turning me around. I may never be a last penny kind of girl but I will be saving more and cutting up my credit cards actually was not so bad. My new vocabulary words are, save, cash, budget and emergency fund to mention a few. Who says that an old woman can't learn new tricks?!

No comments: