Saturday, October 11, 2008

Wild Wild West

I generally do not think of myself as living in the wild west.  Yes it is a bit warmer here at times. I see many people in cowboy hats and boots but that is just the norm. There are certain things that do give me a jolt and make me realize that I live in a unique western place. 
I think that when - there is a bear up the tree in front of the post office on campus  OR  there is a rattle snake in the big tires on the playground  OR  I go to a rodeo and find out that one of my former students is a top bull rider. 
I thought it again the other morning. I arrived at work about 7:40. As I approached the parking area by the elementary playground I saw a very unique sight.  One of our new administrators was riding his mountain bike across and through that playground. Now in and of itself this is not a strange or unique thing. What you have to picture is that he was herding and rounding up a group of free range or possibly wild horses. Seeing a man on a bike weaving in and out and around herding these large beasts off of the playground is indeed a unique sight.  I laughed and laughed. It was a kodak moment that I was bummed about not being able to capture for posterity. 
If you are interested in getting a taste of the wild wild west come on down to our part of the world. I will see what I can scare up for you. 

No comments: