Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Advice

We have a new teacher in our first grade classroom. Her year is starting out rough. She has a student with anger management problems and another who is probably going to be diagnosed with emotional difficulties. At lunch today she seemed at the end of her rope. The one little boy's mom came in and told the teacher flat out to not call her at work any more when there is difficulty with her child. In effect the message was he is your problem. The teacher came to the lounge feeling defeated and unsure. 
She is a good teacher. Her idea are good. Her heart definitely is with her kids. We veterans listened and asked some questions but really did not have anything to tell her. I heard comments like - "Hang in there."  " Have a conference with the mom , principal, counselor and you" " Remove the child away from the other students" etc. etc. 
These are all good suggestions. As I sat listening to the conversation I thought about myself as teacher. I realize more and more that I do not have all the answers. I think that 10 years ago I did but not any longer. Each child and situation and family are so different that there is no one answer. I realize that I am more realistic and less resilient. I do not bounce back as quickly with new ideas and optimistic outlook. I simply cannot force kids to learn. These wonderful children of the heavenly father have free will and make choices and I do not control that. I work hard, do my best, make lessons interesting but I cannot guarantee success or good behavior. I cannot take all the blame for kids not learning and cannot take all the credit when they do. The journey to this realization has been a long, windy pot holey one. I wake up each day knowing that it is a new day full of possibilities and to not hold grudges left from the day before. If I can teach my students this I feel that then I am successful. I like to think that the word for each new day is GRACE. I feel that that is all the advice that I have to share with a new teacher. 

1 comment:

Jenna said...

This is my favorite one so far - so well put.