Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thinking About Water

I teach students who are somewhat challenged in the area of learning. Some call them high needs kids. Most days I have the patience to teach a concept one more time. And then the next day teach it again one more time. Let's just say that I am a lot better at math than I ever thought I would be. 
One of the areas that challenge most of my students is common sense.  I have to admit that today the patience wore a little thin. One of my 4th graders brought me to the point of speechlessness.  I looked at him, opened my mouth to say something and just closed my mouth again because I just did not know what to say. 
There is a bathroom in my classroom. Many years ago it was a first grade room so - a bathroom. It is a mini low to the ground bathroom but functional. One of my kids had to use the bathroom so I said sure go ahead. After he had been back in his seat for a bit I went into the bathroom to wash my hands. When I went into the bathroom the water was running in the sink. It was not dripping - it was running. I turned it off and then went out into the classroom to speak with the student. I reminded him that after washing his hands he needed to turn the water off. He got a blank look on his face. He said to me that the water had been running when he went into the bathroom so he left it on. As I said before - I was speechless. 
How do you teach common sense? I am teaching math which is important but it is not enough. How do I get these kids ready to face life? They are the leaders of tomorrow and facing an age of technology and advancements that have not been dreamed of yet.  They need to be thinkers in order to be viable Christians in their world. They will have to know how to think. This is my challenge.   I must show them that they can be thinkers and know to turn the water off when they see it running.  

1 comment:

GrammE said...

Esther, sometimes your depth and insight simply amazes me. You have such a gift for looking around and seeing everything on a different plane. All the elements of nature & and the human experience are metaphors to you, and you have a marvelous way of weaving all things together in a positive and uplifting way. Your words inspire. You are a true muse. LOVE the title: Expressly Esther. A perfect fit. Please don't ever stop your postings. Your fan, Ellen