Friday, September 5, 2008

Goodbye friend

When I was young our house was full of kids and cats. I had one special cat named Binky. I loved Binky. In fact - Binky went everywhere with me. When I say everywhere I mean everywhere. This cat allowed me to dress it in doll clothes. After the cat was "dressed" I plopped him into my baby buggy and proceeded to roll him with me everywhere. If the cat was not in the buggy then Binky was in my arms or wrapped around my shoulders hitching a ride while purring in my ear. The familiar and oft heard question was " Does that cat know how to walk?"  I loved that cat. 
Since I became an adult I continued to make animals part of my life.  There have been some very special ones Pest the cat who hid in the fridge and laundry hamper, Snoops who managed to check everything out in her short life. Dogs became a part of my life as well as cats. The first dog I ever had was Flynn. He was half Irish wolfhound and half something else. We liked to say that he was the result of a hit and run. Flynn was legendary among our friends for eating cheesecake from the counter, peeing on the tent  etc. I could go on and on. There was Charlie, Oliver and Sasha. Now there is Dutch and Cocoa and until recently Brandie. 
Brandie was a cream pure bred Irish wolfhound. She was small for a wolfhound female but still managed to awe people with her size. She was a laid back take life as it comes type of dog. That is until she got a sniff of food and then that dog could move faster than a speeding bullet to snatch what she wanted. As the years passed she became stiff and found it harder to make her back end rise and fall at will. Finally the day came that she could not get out the dog door in time. She simply lay in the house not leaving the window room to go anywhere else in the house. I knew that the time had come to say goodbye. With many tears and gentle petting she fell asleep to not ever reawaken on this earth. I like to think of her galumphing across the fields of the Lord smelling the flowers, enjoying the sunshine and living a true dog's life. Brandie your death has left a hole in our family and our hearts. To loosely quote EB White - you were some dog. 

No comments: